INDUSTRIAL PASTRY

PRODUCTION

Estimates on the production and sales of industrial pastry in our country vary considerably significant, but we can consider that, according to data from the PRODULCE Association, the total market stood at 170,700 tonnes during the last financial year. This represented an interesting year-on-year increase of 2.1%, when, in the previous year, A fall of 0.3%. The value of that market reached 801.1 million euros, 1.9% more than in the previous year. The domestic market showed a positive performance, growing 3.7% in volume, to 164,385 tons, while its value increased a more moderate 1.1%, reaching almost 766.3 million euros.
In very general terms, it can be pointed out that bakery and muffins account for 82% of all that market in value, while the remaining 18% corresponds to pastry and sweet snacks. Breakfast cakes and pastries accounted for 58.8% of all sales in volume and 43.5% in value. The quotas of the snacks are 17.3% and 29.6%, while the bakery of consumption between hours reaches 23.9% in volume and 26.9% in value. Among the most popular presentations are muffins (46.8% of the total in volume and 38.3% in value), croissants (15.8% and 15.7%) and cupcakes (9, 5% and 12.8%). Among the snack products are the large fried pastries (42% in volume and 40.1% in value), children’s confectionery (17.4% and 22.8%) and small fry (7.3% and 8% , 6%).
Finally, among the bakery between hours, the most sold offerings are filled croissants (29.1% and 16.8%), cocas (12.5% and 15.1%) and donuts and pastes (11, 6% by volume and 11.6% by value).

BUSINESS STRUCTURE

The market for industrial confectionery and bakery products is in the hands of a few large groups that are very often part of huge multinational companies. During the last financial year, the most important event in the large companies of the sector has been the strength with which the third group has begun to scrape market shares after a drastic process of reconversion. The first operator registers a production volume of 105,030 tonnes and sales of 232 million euros per year, while the second round is 80,000 tonnes and 192 million euros. The two following manufacturers indicate invoices of 470 million and 300 million euros respectively.
Distribution brands are very important in this market (in fact, the second manufacturer devotes almost all of its production to this type of offer), but it is considered that its growth possibilities are already exhausted. In 2014 the quotas of the white marks were 64.4% of all volume sales and 49.3% in value. These figures represent a year-on-year reduction of 0.4% in volume and a slight increase in value of 0.1%. The first Marquista offer reaches 9.1% in volume and 15.9% in value, while the second round is 6.7% and 6.3% in value and the third is in the
3.5% and 4.4% respectively.
In the more classic presentations, the preponderance of distribution marks is overwhelming. Thus, in the muffins
Reaches 78.8% and 70.5% and in croissants up to 85.4% and 76.5%. At the other end, there are fried pastries, where white brands represent 25.7% in volume and 19.4%, compared to the main marquista offer, which controls 43.7% of the total in volume And 52% in value. Less important are the white brands in the children’s pastry shop, since they only account for 2.9% of the total in volume and 2.4% in value.


FOREIGN TRADE

Foreign trade in bakery products and industrial confectionery is clearly unfavorable for our country, since imports far exceed exports. Approximately 100,000 tons of this type of products are imported annually, worth 210 million euros. These imports are closely related to the linear ones of some of the major food distribution chains that supply products made in other European Union countries, mainly from Germany, France, Portugal, Italy and the United Kingdom.
With regard to exports, a reorientation seems to have been made during the last financial year in relation to products with higher added value, as there has been a notable reduction in the volume of exports, around 26.6%. In 6,315 tonnes, compared to 8,600 tonnes in the previous year, while in value a significant growth of 23.7% was obtained, reaching about 34.85 million euros, when in the previous year the exported items had not exceeded The 28.2 million euros. Exports barely account for 3.7% in volume of the whole bakery market and 4.3% in value, indicating that the growth margin may still be very high. The vast majority of these exports are directed towards other European Union countries, most notably France, Germany, Portugal and Italy. Exports to some North African countries are also very important.

About the author

Montse Gonzalez