CONDIMENTS & SPICES PRODUCTION AND MARKET

The market for spices and condiments in Spain shows a remarkable dynamism, based largely on sales abroad, which already account for 52% of the total business of the companies in the sector. Presentations of spices and dry herbs accounted for sales of 129.5 million euros, with a volume of almost 110,000 units. Among them, spices accounted for 46.8% of all sales in volume and 55.5% in value, followed by herbs (26% and 19.7%), seasonings (9.9% and 9% , 7%), peppers (9.3% and 9%) and garlic (8% and 6.1%). For its part, the fresh presentations reached 13,170 units and 14,9 million euros.

Herbs were the most important item, with 92.3% of the total in volume and 90.1% in value. Garlic, with shares of 7.7% and 9.9% complete this chapter. Finally, for frozen products, herbs account for 61.7% of all sales in volume and 51% in value, while garlic accounts for the remaining 38.3% and 49%. Spanish salt production is around 3 million tonnes of rock salt, to which more than 1.2 million tonnes of sea salt and 101 000 tonnes of salt have to be added. The highest salt production is recorded in Cantabria, with 37% of the total (total salt), followed by the Valencian Community (17%), Catalonia (16%), Aragon (11%), Andalusia %) And Murcia and Navarra, with percentages of 3% in both cases.

There are just under 50 salt producing companies in our country. The industries involved in the production of spring salt account for 44% of the total, followed by sea salt (43%) and gem salt (13%). China is the world’s largest salt producer with 64 million tonnes, followed by the United States (44 million tonnes) and India (22.2 million tonnes). In Europe, the first place is occupied by Germany, with 14.5 million tons. Next are the Netherlands (6.9 million), the United Kingdom (6.7 million) and France (6 million).

Almost half of the salt consumption in Spain goes to the chemical industry, while 22% is exported, a similar percentage is used for various purposes and only 7% is used by the food industries. Within this percentage, 53% is directed towards human consumption. Production of animal feed (33%) and salt blocks (14%) are shown below. The production of vinegar in Spain during the 2013/2014 season used 890,000 hectoliters of wine, the same figure as in the previous campaign. Of that amount, more than 95% was made up of white wines, while the remaining 5% is the percentage corresponding to red wines. Only 6.7% of these vinegars are made with wines with Denominations of Origin. Among these, 83.3% is made up of white wines. The vast majority of vinegars are made from wines without any type of protection.

We are referring to 830,000 hectoliters of wine, of which 810,000 hectoliters are white wines. In addition to the vinegars of wine, in our country some vinegrows of apple are produced, mainly in Asturias, but also in some other communities like Basque Country, Catalonia and Navarre. Wine vinegars represent about 75% of the entire vinegar market, although in value their share is reduced to 30%. In recent times, the most dynamic categories have been vinegar creams, whose sales currently account for around 3% of the total in volume, but a much more important 12% in value. With regard to sauces, the behavior is much less positive and tend to repeat sales volumes, around 260,500 tonnes, worth about 570 million euros. The most classic presentations are also those with higher sales figures. Thus, fried tomato accounts for 58.5% of the whole market in volume and 35.9% in value. Mayonnaise, with respective quotas of 20.3% and 25.8%, and ketchup and mustard (9.9% and 11.4%) are shown below. Cold sauces are also of considerable importance, with percentages of 6.4% in volume and 14.2% in value, while this relationship is close to cooking sauces (2.8% and 6.4%) and sauces Fresh (2.1% and 6.3%).

About the author

Montse Gonzalez