BREAD

The Spanish bread market in 2014 exceeded 1.7 million tonnes. The total value of all this offer is close to 3,940 million euros, maintaining a clear stability in prices. The average price of bread was € 2.32 per kilo. In the case of fresh and frozen breads, it reaches 2.26 euros / kilo, while between industrial brewers reach 2.64 euros / kilo. About 84% of the bread consumed in our country is fresh / frozen, while the remaining 16% is made up of industrial bread. It is estimated that about 59% of all bread sold is handcrafted, although the segment with the highest increases in recent times is the frozen pasta and precooked frozen bread. The former represent sales of 801,030 tonnes and slightly less than 1,070 million euros, while the latter reached 675,840 tonnes and 735.4 million euros. Sales of frozen pasta grew 4.7% in volume and 3% in value in the last financial year, while pre-cooked breads grew by 4.3% and 1.7%, respectively. Within fresh and frozen bread, the most important category is normal fresh bread, with 89.5% of the total. At a great distance, fresh whole grain bread (9.3%) and fresh bread without salt (1.2%) appear. In the case of industrial breads are the most popular fresh presentations, with 72.2% of all sales, while another 27.8% corresponds to dry breads. Among fresh industrial breads, the most sold item is that of normal breads (49.5% of the total), followed by enriched breads (28.1%), whole breads (11.3%) and breads without Bark (11.1%). The most consumed presentation is the bar or pistol, with about 75% of the total consumption. At a considerable distance the baguettes appear, with a percentage of 10%, chapatas (7%) and bread panes (4%). Bakery companies make up the second employment-generating subsector within the food industry, with some 96,000 workers, accounting for about 21.8% of all jobs in the food sector. Most of the companies that produce and market bread are small, with 87.7% having less than 10 employees, 10.8% have between 10 and 50 workers, 1.2% use between 50 and 200 Workers and only 0.3% have a staff of more than 200 employees. In addition, it must be taken into account that there are an estimated 155,000 points of sales of bakery products, which establishes a retail distribution, although trends in the concentration of sales in the organized distribution are already very strong. Within frozen mass companies the reality is very different, since it is a market dominated by large groups, with important strategies of internationalization. The main manufacturer and distributor of frozen masses reaches 201,760 tons per year, while the second is located at 149,000 tons and the third is close to 129,180 tons. The top five companies have a combined share of more than 70% of total sales.

About the author

Montse Gonzalez