BUSINESS STRUCTURE OF FISH AND SEAFOOD SECTOR

The total number of fishermen and fish farmers in the world is close to 58.3 million people, of which 32.4% are fish farmers. 84% of all people employed in the fisheries and aquaculture sector are in Asia, followed by Africa with just over 10% and Latin America and the Caribbean (3.9%).
The world fishing fleet is composed of 4.72 million vessels, of which 68% is in Asia. Next are Africa (16%), Latin America and the Caribbean (8%), North America (2.5%) and Europe (2.3%).
68% of all the fleet operates in marine waters, while the remaining 32% do so in inland waters. 57% of the fishing boats have an engine, although among those who fish in marine waters this percentage increases to 70%. 79% of motorized vessels have a length below 12 meters and only 2% correspond to industrialized vessels of more than 24 meters in length.
The Spanish fishing fleet was composed in 2014 by 9,635 vessels, representing a year-on-year reduction of 2.4%. The total tonnage of all these vessels amounts to 357,560 tonnes (-4%), with a power of 1.12 million horses, an average length of 10.9 meters and an average age of 30 years. Small craft are 77.6% of the entire fishing fleet.
Trawlers (10.4%), purse seiners (6.6%), longliners (3.9%), gill nets (0.8%) and fixed gear trawlers (0.6% %).
48.4% of the Spanish fishing fleet is registered in Galicia, followed by Andalusia (15.9%), Catalonia (8.6%), Canary Islands (8.5%), Comunidad Valenciana %), The Balearic Islands (3.7%), Asturias (2.9%), the Basque Country (2.2%), Murcia (2%), Cantabria (1.4%) and Ceuta (0.2%). Fishing and aquaculture activities generate just over 40,060 direct jobs, and an additional 18,450 of the fisheries products industries. Revenues from fishing and aquaculture activities are around 2,440 million euros, while the income from activity exceeds 925.3 million euros.

About the author

Montse Gonzalez