AQUACULTURE PRODUCTION

Global aquaculture production has increased at an annual average rate of 6.2% over the last decade. Total aquaculture production reached 90.4 million tonnes, worth $ 144.4 billion, according to FAO data. Of this amount, 66.6 million tonnes correspond to edible fish and another 23.8 million tonnes to aquatic algae. Aquaculture production of fish represents 42.1% of all fishery production. Continental aquaculture accounts for 62.9% of all aquaculture production, while the remaining 37.1% corresponds to marine aquaculture. The main producers of edible fish are China, with 61.7% of the world total, India (6.3%), Vietnam (4.6%), Indonesia (4.6%), Bangladesh (2.6% ), Norway (2%), Thailand (1.9%), Chile (1.6%), Egypt (1.5%), Myanmar (1.3%), Brazil 1%), Korea (0.7%) and the United States (0.6%). These 15 countries account for 92.7% of world aquaculture production. Spanish aquaculture production reaches 226,310 tonnes, worth 492.8 million euros. These figures indicate a year-on-year reduction of 15% in volume, while in value there was an increase of 0.8%. Aquaculture production of fish reached 61,264 tonnes and 392.9 million euros, while those of crustaceans, molluscs and plants were around 165,050 tonnes and 99.9 million euros.

Among the fish, the value of sea bass (98.4 million euros), gold (95.9 million euros), turbot (60.1 million euros) and bluefin tuna (€ 52.7 million). Among the molluscs, mussels are the most important game, with almost 80 million euros, followed by oysters (2.5 million euros) and Japanese clams (1.9 million euros). In the case of crops in brackish areas, seals (6 million euros), Japanese clams (5.2 million), slugs (3.3 million) and fine (2.3 million euros) In addition to gold (3.5 million euros). Finally, rainbow trout (€ 58.9 million) stands out in continental aquaculture, followed by eel (€ 3 million) and sturgeon (€ 1.5 million).

About the author

Montse Gonzalez